Friday, June 29, 2012

S is for Stalled

I was hoping to not have to do this so early on. It's the biggest problem in writing a blog; maintaining consistency and finding a voice. But here I am.

I've run into a block and I don't have any code to talk about this time.

Fortunately, I am learning something from this.

My difficulty with Ruby, and by extension Rails, is that it seems easy to get an application up and do fun things like utilize Ajax, query an LDAP or send email. The part I'm having trouble with is manipulating results.

It seems funny to stumble on the simplest of things, but when it comes down to it, that is the whole reason for an app: to manipulate and present data.

I'm just not getting the the pointers and hashes. I'm not getting the syntax and conventions. I'm not getting the methods that can be used on an object. It is going to take some reading and re-reading to get it. And beyond re-reading, I need to make some code samples and play with the results. Maybe I can show that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment